Thursday, April 29, 2010

Final Post

It's been a long semester, but we made it. I think that although we covered a lot of things in this class that I was already familiar with, I have also learned a lot. Even the programs I was already familiar with, I learned how to use them more effectively. Voice Threads and Google Docs are the two things that I was the happiest to learn about. I will undoubtedly use both of them in my career as a teacher, and probably in my personal life as well.

The only thing that was not covered in this class that I had hoped would be was how to build a website. My brother-in-law had taken this class before me and talked about how easy it was after you learn. While I do wish this was still in the curriculum, I also realize that the stuff replacing it will probably much more useful in the classroom. If I really need to learn to build a site, I'm sure I can easily find that information using the skills I got from the class.

There is definitely nothing that I wish I had not learned. Even if there are items in this curriculum that I will never use, I am addicted to knowledge. The idea of unlearning something, or even wanting to learn something sickens me.

Not a lot really excited me. I guess I was pretty psyched when I saw the potential of Google Docs, but the best thing that came from this class for me is Steve. He has been a good friend to me this semester, and I hope to keep in touch with him.

I'm not sure that 'intellectually challenging' quite describes this class. It was 'intellectually interesting', but I think that the whole idea is to make technologically illiterate people, literate. In order to do this it has to be easy to understand. The only thing that was really 'challenging' was maybe keeping up each week, and that was just a matter of finding time.

A few of the blog posts were somewhat boring, but that was probably because they just didn't interest me. All in all the class kept my interest.

I did not feel overworked in this class. I think that the only problem was organization. It's not even that the assignments were unorganized, but the class didn't really understand the system until about halfway through the semester. At least that was the case with me. I got way behind, but as soon as I figured out where everything was, I had no problem catching up and now I'm finishing up slightly ahead of time.

By my definition, I consider myself 'technologically literate', but only because I believe the standard of literacy defines it. A literate person can read, but that does not define at what grade level. I think that I am a fairly computer savvy person that can navigate well enough, but I certainly have far more to learn. This class has definitely help me move up a few grades.

I plan to use these tools in other classes when applicable and when it is not to at least practice on my own. It should not be hard because it is fun to play around with these programs. I really enjoy playing around on the computer, so I will keep doing that, but maybe now I will be doing something more productive.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest reflections Adam. I think you summed up what EDM310 is all about when you were talking about creating a website. You said,

    "if I really need to learn to build a site, I'm sure I can easily find that information using the skills I got from the class."

    Excellent statement. As Dr. Strange says, "I don't know, lets find out."

    You picked that attitude up and in my estimation that is more important and will be more useful to you than anything we could have taught you about a specific program.

    I appreciate your kind words Adam, and I expect that we will keep in tough. Let me know how you are doing and keep up the great work! SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Building a website. Google has made it very easy. Google...More...Sites Follow the instructions and in less than 5 minutes you will have a web site. In addition, Google makes it easy to get your own URL through GoDaddy or other vendors.

    " 'intellectually interesting' " Yes. That is a good term to use.

    "It's not even that the assignments were unorganized, but the class didn't really understand the system until about halfway through the semester. " the best statement of the "problem" I have seen yet. Helps me think differently about what to do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete