Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week Ten/Eleven

Open Letter To Educators

Morgan Bayda

First off I just have to mention that Dan Brown's voice, mannerisms, and level of drama totally remind me of Glenn Beck. Not to compare politics or anything, it just looks like he went to the Glenn Beck school of public speaking, and I thought that was funny. Unlike Glenn Beck, he had some pretty good things to share.

I think that he has some pretty cool ideas about the direction that education needs to begin leaning toward. I'm not sure that it is completely valid to say that schooling gets in the way of our educations. That very well may have been the case for him, and the educational system may have plenty of room for improvements, but it's crazy to think that school has nothing to offer you.

3 comments:

  1. I have had this conversation lately with several people, the question isn't really does school work for some or even most but does it work for everyone. Obviously that isn't the case and to be quite honest, I am beginning to think it works for too few. It doesn't take a lot of reflection for me (or you for that matter) to find a lot of wasted time in school either not learning anything or learning things that are not important.

    I am not talking about the random things we like for example a specific sport which may not make a real difference to our lives except through our enjoyment of playing/watching it but rather the things that we were subjected to that have no value now in our lives.

    As a college student I could argue that school worked to a certain extent for you, but we both know that there were plenty of people in your high school that school did not work for at all. The question is how do we revamp education so it is more relevant for more students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn Beck... that's funny!

    I wish Dan would have stuck around a little longer... toughed it out a little more... I think he has so much to offer. Now that he's a college dropout, where will he be headed to now? He obviously is passionate and full of energy, and I believe could contribute GREATLY to our educational community....but I find it hard to believe that educators and students alike will agree with his extreme views. It's true that our educational system needs revamping, but I don't know if Dan Brown's message of dropping out will be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that school has something to offer everyone. I went to a different school last year and I can say that I somewhat feel the same way as Dan. My last school was ridiculous. The teaching staff were way to involved in trying to figure out what was wrong with us rather than teach us. they got into everyones business. I have to say since I came to USA I feel differently that I feel education does have something to offer us. I just think that we need to be more selective about who we pick to educate our students. Most of my professors are not actual teachers. Just because you have a Ph. D or masters in a particular subject does not mean you know how to teach it...just saying.

    ReplyDelete