Sunday, February 28, 2010

Week Seven

Richard Miller: This is How We Dream

http://is.gd/2cfNk

I found this video very interesting. As I understood it, Richard Miller is suggesting a method of creating teaching materials in a modern world. He is able to create presentations that will inform his students while keeping them interested.

As someone who grew up in this age of technology myself, I understand that it is hard to keep the attention of a child with a book. I suffered throughout my school career due to an unwillingness to read what did not interest me. However, I always excelled at anything involving a visual stimuli. This seems to be more and more relevant as children are more and more exposed to and involved with technology at early ages.

What I really found interesting is that the teacher is given a bit more academic freedom in that they can create their own teaching materials. I do not mean to discount textbooks, but I cannot think of any class that I have had in my lifetime in which the teacher used every chapter of the text provided. Teachers do not teach the things that they do not have to and do not value, there is not enough time. This way the teacher can streamline their curriculum and teach in a way that they feel more comfortable, and more effectively.


Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student


http://is.gd/2cfNk

This was a really well done video. The little cutouts were kinda goofy, but all in all I thought that it was a creative way to present the material. I like the way that the voice over was done. I have kinda done the same thing in my podcast, so it makes me feel a little more confident in my choice to use that method.

I think that I am fairly prepared to teach networked students, since I am one. Maybe not to the extent of the students in the presentation, but throughout my college career, which has unfortunately been pretty long, I have used networking more and more each semester. Especially now that I am in this class, which not only encourages this behavior, but requires it.

It makes learning more interesting and more fun for the students. Not only that, but it broadens the spectrum of potential for what they can learn. Instead of saying, I am the teacher, this is what I'm going to teach you this semester, you open up a world of opportunity to them. I think that the best thing you can do as a teacher of networking students, is accept the fact that there is a lot that you don't know that is worth knowing.


Toward A New Future of Whatever - Michael Wesch


http://is.gd/3WVVZ

This was a really interesting video. What he said about 1984 and our lack of a need to be informed is frighteningly familiar. The shift of importance really seems to have shifted in our society to celebrity gossip and scandal. It drives me crazy to go through the check out line and see the crap that magazines write about. Who cares if Brad and Angelina are having relationship problems? It's just not our business, and yet these magazines sell.

I do not mean to seem preachy though. In other ways, I am just as guilty of misplaced priorities. Unfortunately, I not only had seen both of those clips from the Simpsons, but knew the scenes by heart. I also remember being obsessed with MTV back when it played music. Perhaps our generation was the first to find this preoccupation with media rather than real life and real issues.

Lastly, it was interesting to hear what he had to say about using webcams, or other types of technology, to disconnect. I can totally relate to this. For a few years now I have used Facebook as an excuse to not call people on their birthdays. I also love text messaging. Not because I like to chat or connect with friends, but if I need to let someone know something, but don't feel like talking, I can just text. It is the ultimate escape from socializing. It really makes you wonder how this is shaping and will continue to shape our society.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for it being so late adam...I agree with you completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam!!! Great blogs!! I agree with your opinions on texting and facebook.. The technology we have today lets us communicate with friends without ever speaking to them. I agree that it's awesome this way so you don't have to start a huge conversation with someone. :)

    ReplyDelete