Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week Five

Wikipedia

NPR article on Wikipedia.

These stories were interesting and it's cool that this guy found a way to find out who rights what, but what I don't understand is why they are talking like wikipedia was ever a reliable source. It has always been open for anyone to edit. Not just businesses and special interests, but fourteen year-old kids with nothing to do but play mad libs on wiki.

What I think is really valuable about this new tracking system, is that it tells us what is more likely to be true. Why would these companies be worried about changing entries that were untrue. So I think that we can safely infer that when Walmart feels the need to take down a statement about low wages, then that statement it true. Besides that, wikipedia is just a fun tool, but it is hardly an encyclopedia.


What I Learned this Year


What I Learned this Year

The one recurring thing that I see throughout this post is patience. He comes off as a teacher who has really worked on having a lot a patience with his kids, his coworkers, and even himself. It seems like that, more than anything, can create a fun and effective learning, and working environment.

The only problem I did have with this post is that it seemed to have a lot of errors. They were all very small, but they still stuck out to me. I feel bad saying something about it, as it was a very insightful and well thought out post, but I was thinking about what you said about your 'Internet footprint'. As an educator, you should be concerned with problems with grammar and punctuation, and all of his mistakes were small ones that could have been caught with just a quick scan before posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment